Sunday 31 July 2011

Je t'aime, melancholie...

Ramadan is knocking and I got a bad bout of nostalgia. I miss UAE. I miss the mood, the food, I got a bad bad craving for Sarai restaurant food (the best Syrian food), I miss the evening crowds in shopping malls, the salty humidity blowing from the sea. I miss being able to go downstairs for a stroll after sunset with Little Miss and not only feel safe but see lots of other parents doing the same. I miss my girl being welcome in proper restaurants, I miss being able to eat anywhere and not worry about the almighty pork in pancakes. And I miss our apartment, not smelling cigarette smoke 24/7 from addicted neighbours. I miss the bread from Organic Café, I miss being able to wear the all-black abaya with black scarf without scaring the living daylight out of people... I miss the respect and courtesy regarding pregnant women, I miss so much...
This, too, shall pass but today I allow myself to indulge in memories.

7 comments:

  1. Mama mia! :D ale serio Ramadan w piachu ma swoj klimat :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Normalnie zatęskniłam jakbym tam mieszkała ;)
    Choć kto wie,może się tam znajdę za jakiś czas..w każdym razie w jakimś piasku na pewno :)

    Buźka

    ReplyDelete
  3. salam aleikoum sister, is that czech language in the other comments? mashaallah, I am half czech, but do not know it a lot...
    thank you for your nice comment and Ramadan moubarak to you! I wish you strength and hope for wherever you are now and I really understand your nostalgy. may Allah give you sakina.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Baraka laufik, Itto - no, it's Polish, close enough, though :)

    ReplyDelete